Need ADVICE? Email us your questions. Your identity will be kept anonymous.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

At Work Romance Yes or No?

Dear Fabian and Karla,
I have this great coworker that I spend time with outside of work.  So far it has just been platonic.  Recently I have been finding her attractive.  Is it ok for me to pour on the charm and flirt with her?  Should I romance her or is she off limits because we work together? 
-Wanting Romance at Work

Fabian Says:
OK people always say that your work and personal lives should not intermingle but there are times where I think that unwritten rule should be overlooked.  First, if you are going into this just to get laid; then stick to the unwritten rule.  Second if there are mutual feelings and the two of you can respect each other’s careers why not take the chance.  There are those who will frown upon your relationship until they see the respect between the both of you, the ones who still frown to HELL with them, you are happy focus on that.  If you start to flirt and pour on the charm at work make sure it is tasteful and tactful and she is the only one you are doing it to.  This is delicate because you will enjoy her company on a personal level but you also need to have a professional relationship at work after you start dating.  Good luck to you and remember if you start date and break-up you not only have to move, change telephone numbers but you also have to find a new job.   


Karla Says:
I think work place romance is only appropriate if you think this person is someone you may consider having a serious and committed relationship with.  I do not think it is appropriate to flirt at work under any circumstances.  It is important to remain professional and not make others uncomfortable.  Rather than pouring on the charm I encourage you to have an adult conversation with your friend explaining how you feel and listening to how she feels about you.  If the feelings are mutual I would encourage you both to set boundaries and guidelines for work and outside of work.  For example I encourage you to discuss how you will handle disagreements that happen in your relationship and how you will maintain a friendly professional atmosphere when you see each other at work.  I wish you the very best of luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment